Véronique Côté: Exploring Women’s Identity in Fairy Tale Myths

By way of searching for information about the newest exhibition at the 1708 Gallery in Richmond, VA titled Media X, I stumbled upon an artist, Véronique Côté, who will be exhibiting works there.

Her work explores the identity of woman and most recently, combines this study with women’s identities in childhood fairy tales. She creates what she calls “wearable sculptures” which also serve as installations and are accompanied by digital prints of nude female bodies wearing the sculptures. Côtés’ sculptures employ the use of common materials such as cocktail stirrers and LED lights to create visually stimulating compositions of imaginary wonderland-like quality.

My favorite piece shown on her website is titled Big Bad Wolf. This is a piece in which she uses cocktail stirrers to create a Red Riding Hood type cape which is then installed in the gallery space along with the accompanying digital prints. On her website she says the cocktail stirrers point “towards the viewer as a metaphor of the ambiguity between the offensive and the defensive in the story of Little Red Riding Hood.”

Le Grand Mechant Loup (Big Bad Wolf), Photography, 2006, 43x60

Le Grand Mechant Loup (Big Bad Wolf), Photography, 2006, 43x60"

I find fascinating Côté’s thorough exploration of each fairy tale and the decision to show all the pieces together as a way to demystify each event.

For more information of Côté, you can visit her website: http://www.veroniquecote.com/

Le Grand Mechant Loup, (Big Bad Wolf), Installation, 2006, Plastic Cocktail Stirrers, wool, paint, digital print

One Response to “Véronique Côté: Exploring Women’s Identity in Fairy Tale Myths”

1. Veronique Cote Says:

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review. It is always nice to see people get interested in my projects. In the same series, I have 2 more projects in the making: Mermaid Tales (a mermaid tail made out of slurpy spoon straws) and the Mad Hatter (a series of photographs with strange hand made wigs).

Best,

Veronique