Constructive Criticism?

One of the toughest parts of being an artist is facing critics, whoever they be.  However, this is something that is extremely necessary and beneficial to you as an artist.  Regardless of whether you agree with them or not, whether they are constructive or just, down-right mean, you can learn from them.  If you agree, then you can better your work, take the piece to the next level.  If you disagree then, you know something you don’t want to do to your piece, but who knows, that could spark some new creativity.  It often seems that many feel “It doesn’t matter what others say, I make my work for myself.  I’m the only one who needs to like it!”.  Now while this is true in the basic sense (even Monet felt this way, “Lots of people will protest that it’s quite unreal and that I’m out of my mind, but that’s just too bad”), you are also making art for the art world.  Isn’t the whole point of being an artist to create something both different and unique, that will affect others?  As an artist, you want your work to be appreciated and put out there.  Criticism will happen whether you want it to or not, its part of the wonderful thing called having an opinion.  As Elbert Hubbard best said, “To escape criticism – do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.”  Embracing criticisms, whether positive or negative, will without a doubt bring your artwork to a whole new level.  Maybe this is what Mary Wash art students need to do to have those critiques Mr. Ernst was talking about?

One Response to “Constructive Criticism?”

1. Earnest Ernst Says:

Official E. Earnst Seal of Approval.