“Francesca Woodman in Room 8”-Tate Modern

In 1958, Francesca Woodman was born from well-known artists George Woodman (ceramist, painter, and photographer) and Betty Woodman (ceramist).  Francesca Woodman studied at Rhode Island School of Design and also completed a honors program in Rome, Italy.  Woodman lived and worked as a photographer and experimental video artist in New York and Italy.  After failed attempts of breaking into the fashion photography industry and suffering a lost relationship, Woodman committed suicide by jumping out her New York loft window in 1981 at age 22.

Woodman created over 10,000 negatives, of which, only about 120 have ever been exhibited.  Her photographs are typically black and white of either herself or other female nude models.  Purposely over exposing or creating movement while shooting, her works usually have small blurred portions that leave the figures nude, but not completely exposed.

At the Tate Modern in London, England I had the opportunity to watch a selection of her video art works.  One of the works shown was Woodman emerging from a sheet of paper that she slowly tears away and emerges from to reveal her naked body.

Take some time and look her up especially if you are interested in photography.  Her work is unbelievably mysterious and moving.  Each frame taken is like getting caught in a private moment in her mind.

2 Responses to ““Francesca Woodman in Room 8”-Tate Modern”

1. » “Francesca Woodman in Room 8″-Tate Modern »Digital Photography Says:

[…] Digital photography by Butta […]

2. Karolina Says:

Four years have passed since I saw the video mentioned above. I still keep on thinking of it, talking about it with a friend of mine who saw it together with me… We are thrilled anew everytime recollections flow back and round… as she seemed to combine both – the direct honesty of curly emotions and the winding uttering of direct thought… Moving